How many billboards are too many?

Hi Frank,

I believe I have found an ideal location for a billboard. It is an empty lot (zoned industrial) in a billboard-friendly town right alongside a well-traveled interstate in northern New Jersey. The location seems almost perfect, but one of my main concerns is the amount of competition in the area. There are at least 10 other billboards along the same route immediately leading up to the location that I would like to put one. Three of them are brand new, and several are LED billboards that can display multiple advertisements.

I know the demand for billboards is generally high, but is it high enough to negate the risk of building another billboard along this highway? On one hand, I have no doubt a billboard in my location would get great visibility from MANY thousands of people on this very busy highway (4 lanes in each direction!). On the other hand, the existing billboards are operated by the big companies (CBS, etc.) and I am worried that they might squeeze me out of the competition by preventing me from renting my ad space. The billboard to be built would have to be a fairly tall monopole structure, so it would be a huge investment for me that I cannot afford to lose.

Based on the situation I described, do you believe a billboard built on this location will be rentable? Do you think the potential revenues will be able to at least recoup the cost of the structure and land lease?

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks!
-Ben

hi, Ben, this is Leanne,
1.since there are 10 billboard in the area, it means that area is a good choice for advertising, you won’t concert about the human traffic, also the Advertising leasing business.
2.although other billboard from big company,however one billboard can display advertising in limited one time。
i think that investment is one thing you should concern, the location must be expensive, have you find the company where to buy the led billboard, the price maybe different. you can find some led billboard manufacturer and let them quote for you, then you have a funding plan, after that you can decide whether to invest it or not.
at last, we are manufacture of led billboard, you can view our website www.mhgled.com if you need any help about your project.

Hello,

Such a relevant question in this digital age when every consumer is busy looking at their phones while travelling.

Let us dig deep into this brilliant question that you have for some predictable thought outs.

Consumers are no longer looking at billboards in the same way they did twenty or thirty years ago. While they may still be considered a premium advertising space, consumers are engrossed in their smart phones, tablets, and gaming systems. Eyes are down, not up, for much of our lives.

However, that doesn’t mean billboard advertising is to be discounted or ignored. Billboards are everywhere, and even though we remember just a handful, they can still have a powerful branding impact.
With outdoor advertising upping the stakes and becoming increasingly more competitive, plus digital advertising becoming the medium of choice, it’s important to know how to make your advertising count. Ready to take the plunge, and do something truly creative? KIndly refer to this article for a greater impact on this subject: https://www.thebalance.com/six-steps-to-making-a-great-billboard-ad-38479
http://bit.ly/24xpKaA