Who installs the ads?

Hello I’m new to this forum, I read Frank Rolfe’s book “Big Profits from Big Signs” and I’m now looking for my first billboard location. One question I have is, who installs the vinyl? If I locate and negotiate the ground lease, have the sign structure erected, find the tenant(s), do the tenants then install their vinyl or do they deliver it to me to be installed or some other way? It seems that installation of a big sheet of 14’x48’ vinyl requires a fairly expensive day of skilled labor and equipment like boom trucks or bucket trucks. Is this service included in the rent or do the sign owners charge an installation fee for putting up or taking down these signs?

Installing a 14’ x 48’ vinyl is much easier than you think. It does not require cranes, and it takes only a fraction of a day. I, at one time, had a body-builder employee who could install the entire vinyl by themselves in about 2 hours – including hauling it up the sign.

The sign company normally pays for the installation of the vinyl that the customer provides. The cost varies by market, but it is around $150 to $200.

To keep control over your sign, you never let the advertiser install the vinyl themselves. What if their contractor didn’t know what he was doing, or did not have the right equipment, or got injured? Most advertisers would not even begin to know who to contact to install it, anyway. You can find installers in your market through google, or calling other sign companies or fabricators – even vinyl printers have leads.

I install the vinyls and do all other billboard type installs and repairs including electrical. I have put up 14x48’s 150’+ by myself and I am only 5’9’’ 165 lbs it is not that bad getting the sign from the ground to the catwalk is the hardest thing the rest is fairly simple. This is a very hazardous work and if I were you, I would not let any one (as Frank was talking about)on my sign without me knowing or them having insurance to be up there. And the insurance is very exspinsive that is why there is a lot of installers (vinyl ) that do not even carry insurance. This way they go in and do the work cheaper than us that do have insurance, how can you compete with that. It is actually running a lot of legitamate sign guys out of the business.

Thanks,
Jimmy Craze
Craze Outdoor Inc.
for all your billboard maint. needs email me @ crazeoutdoor@aol.com

I am well aware of the fact that these items were discussed a long time ago. I wanted to weigh in and offer a couple of agreements and disagreements.

Correct everything that Craze was saying about needing to find an installer who knows what they’re doing and carries the proper insurance. Not a huge issue if you’re having someone install a vinyl on a wood pole 8x20 that’s 4 feet off the ground. BIG issue on a 20x60 125’ HGL. I also agree on time. Our regular crew for most larger (12x48 and larger) vinyls is (2) guys. RARELY more than (2). If so, it’s an extenuating circumstance. Anything smaller, and regular structures we know well, normally (1) guy. And 2 hours is very subjective. Our crews install in an hour, flat. From time of arrival until leaving. As to Frank’s comment on 150-200, this is appropriate in the Midwestern market for install only. With most quality installers (guarantee of work, good installations, proper installation hardware, proper insurance), the going rate for a 12x40 or larger is 200 for an install and 100 or so for a removal. Throughout Illinois (including Chicago), Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, and even into Missouri, the going rate for an R/I for myself, and three other quality contractors is $315-350 for a 12x40 or larger. Anything smaller just depends. Finally, you need to also make sure that your installer is using quality installation products: Fiberglass rods and high quality ratchets. These can be supplied by you or him, but either way you should insist on the quality, and know that there will be an additional cost.

Thanks for that input, Summit. Great information.

Summit,

Not sure what you mean by Correcting me, but you pretty much said the same thing. You said every one has insurance that works on billboards and thats how it should be, to help protect the billboard company. And I think insurance would be good for a sign 4 ft. off the ground, that is 8 ft face 4 ft off the ground thats 12 ft if you land the wrong way it can be bad. I fell about (4 ft) when I was a 17 and it almost my last fall. And the prices are about the same here. I was only talking about people who do work without ins. for example were I would do a job for $200 they are doing it for $100-$125. I hope no one took my post the wrong way I am only tring to help out as much as I can. I like the way you think on the hardware issue only fiberglass rods and no metal, there are to many people using metal rods because it is cheap and ending up getting hurt.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Craze Outdoor Inc.

my comment was… “correct… everything that craze is saying” improperly worded. I was saying that everything you said was correct.

My bad, I miss read your comment. Sounds like we are on the same page about our views on billboard maint. Sorry about the confusion !

Thanks,
Jimmy
Craze Outdoor Inc.