Looking at a tri-vision sign

I’ve got a permit to build a new location and am wondering what the group/Frank thinks of trying to make it a tri-vision instead of a static billboard. Some advertisers are less than enthusiastic about these because they’re forced to share space. It’s a good read and a 12’ x 25’ location. Does anyone have any experience in putting up and dealing with the reliability of these signs? I’m guessing ball park pricing between 10-14 K for a new one? Is there any chance of getting a used tri-vision or prisma-vision sign from someone that has one in stock? Thanks.

Dave,

The first question is: how great is your location? If it is not a #10 on a 1 to 10 scale, then forget the trivision idea – it will be too hard to sell the ad space. Trivisions only work where the location is so hot that the advertiser is willing to “share” the sign just to get at that location.

They do break and are hard to install the copy on. If you build one and even one side is vacant, you have really not done anything positive. Of the three faces, you have to rent the second one just to pay the additional operating costs and such, so the third is your profit center. If you can’t stay 100% occupied, you’ll regret it (depending on the ad space rent levels).

WOW! I thought that a regular monopole would be $50,000 to 80,000. It would seem that a Tri would be $100.000.

“I’m guessing ball park pricing between 10-14 K for a new one?”

I’m not sure what Trivisions cost today, but I think that $10,000 to $14,000 is low, particularly if you include installation. That was about the price 20 years ago. Has someone out there bought one recently?

20’ hagl 12X24 center mount about 30K - 34K give or take.

I’m an installer that has completed a lot of turn key tri-vision installations and also do a lot of maintenance and copy installs. I primarily work with the PrismaFlex brand, but have installed/removed/maintained most types in the market in the last 10 years. I agree that they do break, and are expensive and costly to fix. However, if installed properly, and maintained once a year, or at least every couple of years, the chance that they will break down is minimal. A certain customer has been relocating tri-visions to place digitals, and I’ve personally removed 7 in the last 6 months that are more than 6 years old and working fine, with no problems or issues. As for copy installation, all now come standard with a slide up PVC version, which being slightly more front end expensive, ends up saving you both time and money in the long run. We’re seeing 45-60 minute 14x48 R/I across the board. There’s also no problems with the elements creating havoc, as these can be installed even with wind or rain being present. It may slow down the installation slightly, but a good crew shouldn’t have a problem.