Mobile billboard ban/restrictions

Can a municipality ban/restrict a continuious moving mobile billboard? I understand that if the unit is parked for an extended period of time but for a unit that is always on the roll even though it is for advertising purposes. I would imagine that regardless of for advertising purpose or not as opposed to units that have multi functions such as a bus, taxi, truck ad, a ad is a ad is a ad? If one were baned or restricted the other would be?

It is extremely hard – if not impossible – for cities to ban mobile billboards. As you pointed out, nearly every commercial vehicle these days has a billboard of some type on it. You are correct that parking the mobile billboards for extended periods might lead to a problem (if the intent was to advertise rather than store the vehicle), but as long as they’re moving, they really don’t fit the profile of a stationary billboard sign. I don’t really see any ordinances on this topic coming in the future, due to its complexity and inability to enforce.

After a bit more research it appears that Hawaii, did indeed ban the use of “mobile” billboards as well as ones banned in LosAngels or the trailer mounted ones parked and left on the street for extended periods. So really not sure what to think here?? If anyone would be on a ban wagon to ban from use completly I would think it would be LA.

After a bit more research it appears that Hawaii, did indeed ban the use of “mobile” billboards as well as ones banned in LosAngels or the trailer mounted ones parked and left on the street for extended periods. So really not sure what to think here?? If anyone would be on a ban wagon to ban from use completly I would think it would be LA.

We need to clarify what a “mobile billboard” actually is. By definition, it’s basically a truck that is moving in traffic with an ad on it. But some people also consider a “mobile billboard” a regular billboard on a trailer, that they park and has no purpose other than to advertise in a static format. That type is pretty much illegal everywhere, although enforcement is very difficult. The important point in “mobile” is that the ad is moving and not stopped in one spot. Once you park a sign on a trailer, you have entered into the non-premise sign ordinance regulations. In reality, however, many people use these type of signs on weekends – when the sign inspectors are off work – and avoid problems in this manner (the same way that home builders use “bandit signs” that go up Friday night and come down Sunday night). But if you are looking at investing significant money in a “mobile billboard” of any type, it would be a good idea during due diligence to read the city ordinance and talk to inspectors about what the policies are.

Good question,
We have been looking at purchasing a qty of mobile Digital billboards and placing them at sites along busy city roads. A couple of the sites we were looking at paying the land owner to park the unit there for the morning rush then transport to another location in the daytime then for rush hour in the evenings moving back.

Do any of you know any companies currently renting these mobile digital billboards and having more advertisers then space available?
Thanks,
Al

oh no, I already have a really nice unit. Just the area where we are at is a bit behind the times with regards to an advertising medium assoicated with larger cities. So looking for new markets!

some cities do have restrictions for example miami beach you cannot park a billboard truck you have to keep driving around,virginia beach you cant drive around you have to be parked in private lot…nyc has a monopolizing law against billboard trucks only authorizing taxis,sanitation and buses to advertise,utah had a similar ban that got sued when the olympics went there and had to repeal the law bottom line is that mobile advertising falls under commercial freedom of speach…

Yes we were figuring some area’s it would be really hard to police a digital billboard with ads which we either have approval by a land owner to put the unit or we are on a businesses property with 1 ad cycling for them and then the rest of the ads from renters.

Let me know if any of you are doing this type of marketing and how successful your digital mobile billboards have been.

Thanks.

How did you make out on this? I am considering the same concept in my town